The requests for places to eat and shop on the Outer Banks has started for the summer. I wanted to let you know of places I like to eat at or places my friends have recommended that are enjoyable for people that eat gluten-free.
1. Sun Dogs (in the Food Lion Parking Lot)- The staff has always been very kind to me. Tell your server that you can not eat gluten. They do not have a gluten free menu but I have been served items that may not be on the menu that are delicious! They also have gluten free beer and hard cider available. In the evening it is a bar atmosphere.
Address: 807-M Ocean Trail Corolla 27927 Phone: (252) 453-4263
2. Food Lion Corolla- This Food Lion is getting better and better every year. They have a frozen section of pizza, breads, frozen dinners in one isle and then in another they have boxed cookies and dry goods that take up about half the isle. If you want something special call the manager before your trip to see if he/she can get it for you. They are doing a really good job!
805 Ocean Trail, Corolla (252) 453-4544
3. Mile Dianna's Grill Room -- Free standing building in the Timbuck 2 shopping center behind the go car track- 85% the of menu is gluten-free. Only a few appetizers and soups are not gluten free. Lunch 12-3 and dinner 5-10. children are welcome reservations recommended USDA prime beef, fresh seafood (some local)and sushi (ask for GF soy sauce) Has GF chocolate torte and other treats available.
777 Sunset Blvd Corolla
4. The Shack (Coffee shop and Beer Garden)
Very good coffee and smoothies and in their beer garden they have wonderful hard cider! Very casual.
1148 Ocean Trail Corolla
5. Sanderling Inn Lifesaving Station- They have Gluten Free bread! Wow and double wow! It is a pleasure to go out and have a mini hamburger and have the bread! Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served. Seafood, salads and steaks are their specialty. Children are welcome. Call ahead and tell them that you are gluten-free and Clara sent you! I love this place!!
1461 Duck Rd. • Duck, NC 27949
800.701.4111 Ext. 127.
6. Paper Canoe-Open only for Dinner 5-10 Monday- Saturday
They do not have a gluten free menu but are happy to provide food that is delicious. Please call ahead to see what they can do for you.
1564 Duck Road Duck 27949
7. Tommy's Gourmet Market and Wine Emporium
Living in Corolla, I need to pass Tommy's going down island. I can't help but stop and buy one Gluten-Free Muffin (yes one!) on the way to where I am going and sometimes I will stop and get one for the way back. Fresh muffins that have been made in a GF kitchen and that I can buy one at a time...Yes,Yes this place is for me! Call ahead if you have a party and need a whole bunch of muffins or a cake made. They have a freezer section with Udi's breads and a nice selection of fresh fish, but for me its all in the muffins!
1242 Duck Road
Duck, NC 27949
Phone: (252) 261-8990
8. Blue Point
This is a restaurant with a wonderful view! They serve lunch and dinner. Call for reservations Tell your server that you are gluten-free. Seafood is delicious and they serve salads pork and beef as well. This is a nice place to go after you walk around and shop in the little stores in Duck.
1240 Duck Road Duck, NC 27949
9. Coastal Provisions
They are a restaurant and wine bar. The also have a small grocery. Call for reservations Tell the waiter that you are gluten-free. Items that are possibilities include steaks, seafood and salads. Ask about the sides (grilled vegetables and mashed potatoes are delicious!) In their grocery they have chef prepared meals. On Monday from 11-7 you can buy one get one free. Just re-heat it at home. In season their oyster bar is open 11-7 (seating is outside)
1 Ocean Blvd. Southern Shores (In the Southern shores Crossing center, this is the shopping center on the left as you start to go up to the northern beaches)
Oh yum!!! Frozen Custard and Ice. They do have a gluten-free menu!!! Yes..even on the Outer Banks there is a place with a gluten free menu and great custard! If Wanda is working tell her "Hi" for me. They are in the same shopping center as the Food Lion in Southern Shores!
Milepost one at the Market Place in Southern Shores (between Starbucks and Mattress Discounters)
11. High Cotton- This is an excellent place to go with kids! I love their BBQ and ribs. The atmosphere is very causal. Tell your waitress you are gluten-free! Their prices are excellent!
5230 Virginia Dare Trail N, Kitty Hawk NC (mile post 2 on the beach road) 27949 Phone: (252) 255-2275
12. Black Pelican-
Tell your waitress you are gluten free. We have had a gluten-free meeting here and all enjoyed seafood.
3848 Virginia Dare Trail North Kitty Hawk, NC 27949 ( milepost 4 on the Ocean Road)
13. Five guys Burgers and Fries
Occasionally I need to share an order of french fries from a dedicated fryer. The fries are great and it reminds me of my first home in Arlington Virginia. Ask the manager if you want a no bun hamburger. They are messy but good.
1203 S. Croatan Highway Kill Devil Hills
I hope this is enough to get you started. We rent out our house at the beach for the summer. Maybe it is the only gluten-free friendly beach house on the Outer Banks??? I don't know...tell me what you think. Next year should I provide a gluten free bag of goodies for my guests that are gluten-free???
Have a great summer and I will be back in September.